International Guild of Visual Peacemakers - Ethical Code for Visual Communicators
The International Guild of Visual Peacemakers is a group of photographers, filmmakers and storytellers who are committed to a shared ethical code for visual communicators that seeks to prevent the demonization of “the other” as we tell stories and report news about conflict. Visual storytellers can get ideas for developing their own peacemaker narratives with these 10 How To’s for Visual Peacemaking featured in a IGVP blog post.
Here’s the “Actions” section of the ethical code:
The way in which visual content is created directly impacts both our subjects and the outcome of the work itself. Visual peacemakers must be mindful of the person and the picture. The following actions and behaviors are essential to the visual peacemaking processâ??before, during, and after.
1. We research and respect the culture we are documenting.
2. We value our subjects by taking measures to interact with or involve them, and by treating storytelling and image-making as a collaboration.
3. We use discernment in candid photography and videography, and all published material, because anotherâ??s dignity and honor matters to us.
4. We inquire about how others are impacted by our images, examining the actual results of our best intentions.
5. We are intentional about highlighting common humanity through images and storytelling.
6. We explore both macro and micro factors that affect a place or people in an effort for multidimensional coverage.
7. We refrain from making an image if asked not to.
8. We foster the courage to delete some images that may reinforce destructive stereotypes, or publish them only along with other images that tell a more complete story.
9. We refine and upgrade our own vision, because well-crafted images have greater potential for effective visual peacemaking.
10. We live generously by helping others around us, wherever we are, and by volunteering to support the visual peacemaking movement with our talents and resources.
The IGVP website provides photo galleries, a photo-story builder, and featured documentaries that provide a lovely changing mosaic of ideas and images. There is a fee to make full use of the gallery and portfolio tools on the site.
Here’s a video introducing the Guild of Visual Peacemakers.